Beginning in November, 2010, I lived in a small town just south
of San Francisco. This six month sojourn in America gave me lots
of adventures and I was inspired each day by normal events as
well as by unusual characters whom I met: some of my
remembrances were frightening and some of the stories I can tell
are just comic.
I recall vividly one late Friday afternoon when the weather in San Francisco was cold enough for a young woman from a tropical country to don her warmest coat. Christmas was nigh and the department stores were full of shoppers eager to make the most of the just-announced sales on their goods. As any responsible tourist would do - and as any normal young woman would choose - I, of course, went to the department store. I added a layer of hopefulness to my fur-trimmed coat and went hunting for bargains!
Even though Macy’s store in pleasant view is huge, I felt I was up to the challenge. Following my instincts, I walked directly towards the biggest sign in the store. Under the big, black 70% letters, I heard a small - hoarse - voice say,
“Excuse me! Excuse me! Is this blue or green?”
I turned to see an elderly, hunch-backed woman, who had a very messy hair and lots of make up. This woman was considering a new dress which she was wearing atop her own clothes; her tiny Dachsund was at her heel.
“Is this blue or green?” she repeated.
Though there were many lights in the store, it was difficult for me to see the dress clearly and it was also impossible for me to get too close to this woman for a clearer look. The smell emanating from this woman - and her dog - was just awful. I guess it had been a long time since either of them - woman or pooch - had had a bath - and likely a secure home too.
“It’s green, I think,” I said as confidently as I could.
This woman had another look at her top garment and replied, “Oh, I’m not sure; maybe it is green.” Even though my fellow shopper wasn’t sure I had any color sense, she did seem to think I might be a worthy friend, and she began to tell me all the details of her life for ten uninterruptable minutes. I felt compassion for this woman hearing some of the details she related, and I also felt a little frightened that she might learn, at any moment, that my comprehension of English was not very good. Just as quickly as she launched her life story, my fellow shopper suddenly brought her story to a close and looking directly at me said,
“I really wanted a blue dress.”
And with that announcement, she turned away from me, returned the dress to its hanger and walked away with her dog. I also left Macy’s without a new dress that day, but I did have a wonderful moment and memory which is preserved in the accompanying drawing! :)

No comments:
Post a Comment